The new Federal prescription drug disposal guidelines urge Americans to:
- Take unused, unneeded, or expired prescription drugs out of their original containers.
- Mix the prescription drugs with an undesirable substance, like used coffee grounds or kitty litter, and put them in impermeable, non-descript containers, such as empty cans or sealable bags, further ensuring that
the drugs are not diverted or accidentally ingested by children or pets.
- Throw these containers in the trash.
- Flush prescription drugs down the toilet only if the accompanying patient information specifically instructs it is safe to do so.
- Return unused, unneeded, or expired prescription drugs to pharmaceutical take-back locations that allow the public to bring unused drugs to a central location for safe disposal.
The information above was taken directly from a press release that can be accessed online at: http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/pda/022007.html
For more information on disposing of prescription drugs safely, click here.