This training is now filled. Please watch for future opportunities!
Motivational Interviewing (MI) is an evidence-based collaborative conversational style used to help strengthen an individual's own motivation and commitment to change. In this interactive, skills-based workshop, participants will have the opportunity to learn about and practice the spirit and relational skills of MI.
Note: Participants must complete Motivational Interviewing: Relational Skills (Level 1) to be eligible to attend the subsequent training in the MI series: Motivational Interviewing: Technical Skills (Level 2). Those who fully attend Level 1 will automatically receive an invitation to register to attend Level 2.
After completing Motivational Interviewing: Relational Skills (Level 1), participants will:
- Have an introductory level understanding of the purpose, benefits, and challenges of MI
- Understand and practice the four processes used in MI: planning, evoking, focusing, and engaging
- Recognize differences between helpful client engagement vs. harmful client engagement
- Prepare to apply the spirit of Motivational Interviewing to patient interactions
- Observe and practice the core skills of MI: listening, open-ended questions, affirmations, reflections, and summarization.
- September 20, 2023 from 8:30AM-11:30AM CT
- September 27, 2023 from 8:30AM-11:30AM CT
- October 4, 2023 from 8:30AM-11:30AM CT
Registrants who fully attend this training will be eligible to receive 9 NAADAC certified continuing education (CE) hours. CE certificates are sent via email within two weeks after the conclusion of the training.
Sue EckMaahs has practiced and trained Motivational Interviewing (MI) for over 30 years. With a background in Sociology, she has provided MI implementation, training, and coaching services to thousands of professionals and over two hundred organizations, nationally & internationally. Her audience spans mental health, substance abuse, public health & primary care, education, child protection/family reunification, workforce development, and re-entry/corrections. On a personal note, she loves hiking with her partner Steve & dog, Cassie!
To ensure all participants get the most out of these interactive virtual trainings, we ask that everyone be prepared to do the following in every session:
The Great Lakes A/MH/PTTC is offering this training for individuals working in HHS Region 5: IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI. This training is being provided in response to a need identified by Region 5 stakeholders.