The registration link for this training will be provided to participants who complete the prerequisite course Motivational Interviewing Level 1 (Relational Skills).
Motivational interviewing is an evidence-based practice used to help people overcome their ambivalence about change. In this interactive, skills-based workshop, participants will learn about and practice the spirit of MI and both the relational and technical skills.
- Define and summarize the processes of focusing and evoking
- Identify different strategies for focusing and prepare to apply them to client interactions
- Define and recognize change talk, sustain talk, and discordance
- Differentiate between client cues of readiness, ambivalence, and discordance
- Construct effective responses to different client cues
- Design a plan for advancing individual MI skills
Prerequisite: Motivational Interviewing Level 1 (Relational Skills)
- November 1, 2023 from 8:30AM-11:30AM CT
- November 8, 2023 from 8:30AM-11:30AM CT
- November 15, 2023 from 8:30AM-11:30AM CT
Registrants who fully attend this training will be eligible to receive 9 NAADAC certified continuing education (CE) hours. CE certificates are sent via email within two weeks after the conclusion of the training.
Sue EckMaahs has practiced and trained Motivational Interviewing (MI) for over 30 years. With a background in Sociology, she has provided MI implementation, training, and coaching services to thousands of professionals and over two hundred organizations, nationally & internationally. Her audience spans mental health, substance abuse, public health & primary care, education, child protection/family reunification, workforce development, and re-entry/corrections. On a personal note, she loves hiking with her partner Steve & dog, Cassie!
To ensure all participants get the most out of these interactive virtual trainings, we ask that everyone be prepared to do the following in every session:
The Great Lakes ATTC and MHTTC offer Motivational Interviewing and SBIRT training for behavioral health professionals in HHS Region 5: IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, and WI.