Teen Treatment IQ
A national campaign to address the substance use treatment needs of adolescents.
The NIDA/SAMHSA Blending Initiative 2.0 Adolescent Research Workgroup produced webinars and products to promote the rapid dissemination of NIDA-funded research findings to the addiction treatment workforce and other disciplines treating adolescents.
Webinars and products focused on the key principles identified in NIDA's publication: Principles of Adolescent Substance Use Disorder Treatment: A Research-Based Guide.
Nationally renowned experts discussed strategies to incorporate research findings into practice and addressed implications in treating adolescents and young adults.
NIDA/SAMHSA-ATTC Adolescent Blending Team Members
- Phillip Orrick, Chair - South Southwest ATTC
- Jason Burrow-Sánchez, PhD - Central Rockies ATTC
- Sara Becker, PhD - New England ATTC
- Marjean Searcy, SSW - Central Rockies ATTC
- Pat Stilen, LCSW - Mid-America ATTC
NIDA Children & Teens Resources
Get the inside information on how different drugs can affect the brain and the body and what you can do to get involved. For more resources, see the NIDA for Teens web site.
- About 7-8% of adolescents in need of substance use treatment actually receive treatment (SAMHSA, 2010) and SAMHSA TEDS 2011.
- Substance dependence for illicit drugs was higher in those aged 12-17 (1.8%) than individuals aged 26+ (1.4%) (Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality, 2015)
- Alcohol, marijuana and tobacco are the top three substances used by adolescents (Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality, 2015)
The Alternative Peer Group: A Developmentally Appropriate Recovery Support Model for Youth
Wednesday, July 12, 2017
Presenters: Angela Nash, PhD, CPNP-PC, PMHS, Assistant Professor, UTHealth School of Nursing and Crystal Collier, PhD, LPC-S, Director, Behavioral Health Institute and Prevention Research for The Council on Recovery
Effective Family Treatments for Adolescent Substance Use Disorders
April 25, 2017
Presenters: Aaron Hogue, Ph.D and Molly Bobek, LCSW, The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse
Substance Use Disorder & The Adolescent Brain
January 17, 2017
Presenter: Dr. Glen R. Hanson, D.D.S., Ph.D., Interim Dean, School of Dentistry, University of Utah
The Value of Evidence-Based Screening, Assessment and Treatment for Adolescents with Substance Use Disorders
August 31, 2016
Presenter: Michael L. Dennis, Ph.D, Chestnut Health Systems, Normal, IL
Teen Smoking, Vaping & Dipping: How Should Providers Respond?
July 13, 2016
Presenter: Rosemarie Martin, Ph.D, Assistant Research Professor of Behavioral and Social Science, Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies, Brown University, School of Public Health
Substance Abuse Treatment for Racial and Ethnic Minority Adolescents: Examining the Evidence for Engagement and Cultural Adaptations
February 17, 2016
Presenter: Jason Burrow-Sánchez, PhD, Professor, Department of Educational Psychology and Principal Investigator, Central Rockies ATTC, University of Utah