Coronavirus Resources (COVID-19)
The South Africa HIV ATTC recognizes the many challenges posed by the current COVID-19 situation. We are providing links to resources to assist individuals, providers, communities, and provinces across the country. These resources will come from a variety of vetted domestic and international sources. This page will continue to be updated as we learn more information about this novel coronavirus and as more resources are made available.
South African National Department of Health Coronavirus Resource Page
Global Map of COVID-19 Cases
PEPFAR Coronavirus Resource Page
World Health Organization Africa Coronavirus Page
World Health Organization Coronavirus Page
SAMHSA Coronavirus Resources and Information Page
Alcohol and Tobacco Ban During South Africa's COVID-19 Lockdown:
The South Africa HIV ATTC co-hosted a virtual panel discussion with the South Africa National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (SANCA) about the context and implications of the alcohol and tobacco ban that has been implemented in South Africa during the COVID19 global pandemic. Panelists include Professor Charles Parry from SAMRC, Ms Adrie Vermeulen from SANCA National, and Mr Shaun Shelley from TB HIV Care and the South African Network of People Who Use Drugs (SANPUD).
ATTC-Developed Resources for Self-Care
The South Africa HIV ATTC has created these one-page exercises to serve as a guide to self-care:
- Reflection and Breathing Exercise -- This one-page activity can be used to relieve uncomfortable emotions such as stress, anxiety, anger and sadness by being still and practicing intentional reflection and breathing.
- Wellness Wheel Exercise -- This one-page self-assessment activity can be used to set goals towards achieving greater balance in caring for oneself.
- Coping with Distress -- This one-page activity can be used to learn new ways to cope with and relieve stress. Developing ways to soothe can be helpful to prevent one from becoming emotionally overwhelmed.
- Healthy Coping Behaviours -- This one-page activity encourages taking care of oneself, particularly in moments of great instability.
- Regular Emotional Check-Ins -- This one-page activity that can help one slow down and check in with their emotional and physical well-being.
ATTC-Developed Resources for Online Engagement and Facilitation
In this time of increased online engagement – meetings, trainings, technical assistance, and more – it is important for facilitators to be prepared when hosting in online meetings. The South Africa HIV ATTC has developed a series of one-page guides for online engagement. These products were adapted from the larger resource developed by the Pacific Southwest Mental Health TTC to ensure cultural relevance. Specific topics include:
- General Guidelines for Virtual Meetings -- This guide offers advice for video, audio, and chatting etiquette when participating in online meetings.
- Guidance for Setting Up Online Meetings -- This guide helps facilitators to physically set up for online meetings including video conferencing.
- Facilitator Guide for Online Engagement -- This guide helps facilitators to prepare, set up, and host engaging online sessions.
- Group Norms for Online Engagement -- This guide helps facilitators to think through the setting of group norms and practices for online meetings
- Parenting for Lifelong Health provides open-access online parenting resources during COVID-19. They are working with the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the Global Partnership to End Violence Against Children, the Internet of Good Things, USAID and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to create helpful resources for parents and families. https://www.covid19parenting.com/
- Article in the Lancet: Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is changing family life. This article explores the implications of the many changes to school, work, public places, and more and how they affect families. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30736-4/fulltext